Who doesn’t love Pad Thai, amiright?? Sometiiiimes I want Pad Thai, but maybe without the heaviness because swimsuit season. This recipe is the perfect happy medium for you to enjoy this delish dish! I’ve included substitutes for a vegan/vegetarian diet as well 🙂
- flat rice noodles OR zoodles (v good alternative in this recipe if you ask moi)
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined OR use tofu as a vegan substitute
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced shallot
- 1 c. asparagus tips
- 1/2 c. spring or English peas
- 1/2 c. thinly sliced red radishes
- 1 bunch green onions, both white and green ends
- 1 14.5 oz can bean sprouts
- 1 large lime
- 1 large egg
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 tbsp rice or white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp soy sauce (I recommend low sodium)
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (or more to enhance spice level!) of chili sauce (I use Sriracha)
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- **Optional ingredients** chopped roasted peanuts, chili flakes, coriander
- **Optional vegetables** Shredded red cabbage, edamame
- If using rice noodles, completely submerge in a bowl of boiling hot water for 10 minutes while you prep the other ingredients. If using a zucchini, spiralize the noodles and set aside.
- Season the shrimp with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together fish sauce, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar and the chili sauce.
- Drain water from rice noodles (if using).
- Heat 1 tbsp of sesame oil over medium high heat. Once hot, add shrimp. Cook until pink, about 2-3 minutes per side, then remove from pan and set aside.
- Add second tablespoon of oil to the pan, reduce the heat to medium. Once hot, add shallot and garlic. Cook until garlic is fragrant, add egg. Gently push the egg yolk around to create a “scrambled” look.
- When the egg is done, add in the vegetables the sauce (& tofu if using), and toss. Cook until vegetables start to soften but are still crisp, approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and noodles, toss to combine, and cook for another 2-3 minutes until the noodles start to soften again.
- Top with lime juice and any optional desired ingredients!